Monday, March 28, 2011

Oh Nico...


I love The Velvet Underground, and I love Nico even more. Her sad and oh-so-bored-with-it-all rendition of Jackson Browne's 'These Days' is possibly one of my all time favorite rainy day songs (and on the soundtrack of one of my all time favorite movies). With the Seattle weather keeping me inside today, searching for the end of the internet, I found this quote from Andy Warhol about Nico which made me even more smitten:

"She [Nico] called us from a Mexican restaurant and we went right over to meet her. She was sitting at a table with a pitcher in front of her, dipping her long beautiful fingers into the sangria, lifting out slices of wine-soaked oranges. When she saw us, she tilted her head to the side and brushed her hair back with her other hand and said very slowly, 'I only like the fooood that flooooats in the wiiine.'"

This was the beginning of Nico as a 'Warhol Superstar', and Andy proposing her to be a 'chanteuse' for The Velvet Underground. The boys in the band only reluctantly consented, as they agreed that Nico was pretty much tone deaf. But as we all know, the rest is history.


Ok, well... let's listen to it one more time...




No comments:

Post a Comment